Balanced Scorecard: How To Create A Public Sector BSC
2 July 2021
Public Sector and Not-for-Profit Balanced Scorecard
While the Balanced Scorecard has been designed for commercial companies, the framework has found wide-spread use in the public and not-for-profit sector. The Advanced Performance Institutes has worked with many government and not-for-profit organisations to implement performance management frameworks.
The challenge is how to apply the commercial company focused template of the Balanced Scorecard in public sector and not-for-profit organisations. Here are the key changes to the Balanced Scorecard template in order to make it relevant to those organisations:
- Move the Financial Perspective of the Balanced Scorecard to the bottom of the template. The overall objective of most public sector, government and not-for-profit organisations is not to maximise profits and shareholder return. Instead, money and infrastructure are important resources that have to be managed as effectively and efficiently as possible to deliver the strategic objectives.
- The overall objective in of public sector, government and not-for-profit Balanced Scorecards is to deliver services to their key stakeholders, which can be the public, central government bodies or certain communities. This perspective usually sits at the top of the template to highlight the key stakeholder deliverables and outcomes.
- The two remaining Balanced Scorecard perspectives will stay as they are. Any public sector, government and not-for-profit organisations needs to build the necessary human, information and organisational capital to deliver its key processes in the middle of the map.
What Tech Trends Should Companies Focus on in 2023? Here Are Three to Consider (And One to Ignore)
It’s common to hear it said that today, in order to thrive, every business needs to become a tech business.[...]
Bringing Real-Time AI To The Core Of Your Business
Artificial intelligence (AI) is big news right now thanks to a wave of viral applications such as ChatGPT and Dall-E, which have captured the public’s imagination.[...]
The Future Of Work: Are Traditional Degrees Still Worthwhile?
Jobs and the world of work are changing. This raises one very important question: As many roles become increasingly focused on specialized skills and on-the-job experience, are traditional degrees still valuable to employers?[...]
The Real Reasons For Big Tech Layoffs At Google, Microsoft, Meta, and Amazon
Between them, some of the world’s biggest tech companies have collectively laid off more than 150,000 workers in recent months.[...]
How Will ChatGPT Affect Your Job If You Work In Advertising And Marketing?
Recently, there’s been a lot of excitement about ChatGPT – the public preview release of OpenAI’s chatbot powered by the GPT3 language model.[...]
12 Easy Steps To Build Your Personal Brand On Social Media
Building and maintaining my personal brand is an important part of my job. But it's becoming important in so many professions[...]
- Get updates straight to your inbox
- Join my 1 million newsletter subscribers
- Never miss any new content