The Top VR and AR Fitness Apps
30 March 2022
Skip the gym…exercise in the metaverse! With the help of a myriad of AR and VR fitness apps, immersive workouts from home (or anywhere!) are absolutely possible. Find out why XR fitness is so beneficial, and get a sampling of some top AR and VR fitness apps.
Find out why XR fitness is so beneficial, and get a sampling of some top AR and VR fitness apps.
Virtual reality isn’t just for gaming: It’s also a great tool for getting in shape.
Some reports say almost 70% of all gym memberships go unused after the first few months, costing people millions of dollars annually.
People still want to get in shape, however, and “exercise more” often tops the list of New Year’s resolutions every year.
Could VR and AR provide solutions for people who want to get in shape, but can’t motivate themselves to get to the gym?
In the last few years, fitness apps in the extended reality (AR and VR) world have exploded, and now millions of people are using immersive experiences to move more and get healthy. Using AR and VR in your fitness routine can:
- Provide real-time feedback on your workout and your overall health
- Give you access to virtual instructors
- Help you pick the perfect personalized workouts, based on your fitness goals
- Gamify exercise and make it more fun
- Offer cross-training opportunities that help you avoid injury
- Add healthy competition with other virtual players
- Give you the flexibility to work out anywhere you want
As we look forward to the possibilities of the metaverse, let's take a look at some of the most innovative and functional VR and AR fitness applications.
AR Fitness Apps
Here is a small sampling of some of the many augmented reality fitness apps that weave digital content into a person’s actual environment:
- Zombies, Run!: In this running app, users listen to instructions from a helicopter pilot as they flee a zombie apocalypse.
- Prayoga: This yoga AR app uses body tracking technology to give users feedback as they perform yoga asanas. When using Prayoga on the Apple Watch, workouts can be automatically synced with iPhones using ShazamKit.
- Golfshot: Award-winning Golfshot lets golfers experience AR through their phones, right on the course. The app helps them identify targets and hazards in real-time, and even gives recommendations on which clubs to use!
- Gymnotize: This training app uses AR to show users how to use proper form when lifting weights and provides corrections when needed.
VR Fitness Apps
Fully immersive VR fitness apps are gaining popularity as well. Some examples of VR-based workout applications include:
- Eleven VR Table Tennis: A ping pong simulator that provides a surprisingly high-intensity workout. The game lets you build your skills with a trainer, play a single-player game, or get matched up with other players online.
- Supernatural VR Fitness: Supernatural started out with their classic “Flow” workout, where users strike targets and perform squats and lunges to the beat of popular music. Now the app includes boxing, meditation, and stretching sessions, too.
- VZFit: This VR app connects to a sensor on your stationary bike, then provides an immersive experience that lets you cycle through Ireland, the Alps, or Paris instead of staring at your bedroom wall or watching TV while you bike.
- FitXR: Users choose from a huge catalog of boxing, dancing, or high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts.
- OhShape: This VR rhythm game is inspired by the Japanese TV show Hole in the Wall, where players have to punch, dodge, and avoid body-shaped holes in the wall. The faster you move, and the better you dodge, the more points you earn (and the more fit you become!)
The 7 Most Successful Business Models Of The Digital Era
The first two decades of this century are characterized by digital entrepreneurs upending traditional business models in search of new ways of creating revenue and serving customers.[...]
Unleashing the Power Of AI: 14 More Mind-Blowing Tools Beyond ChatGPT
AI is still the hottest topic in tech due to the massive success of ChatGPT, now thought to have the fastest-growing user base of any application in history.[...]
The Top 4 Examples Of How ChatGPT Can Be Used In Telecom
The telecom industry has experienced a lot of change and challenges in recent years, and with that comes a need for more efficient and effective communication systems.[...]
The Top 5 Education Trends In 2023
The world is changing, which means that the way we study and learn in order to thrive in the world has to change, too.[...]
The 6 Most Important Tech Trend Predictions For 2023
Analysts at Deloitte have unveiled their predictions for what they believe will be the most important tech trends of the next 12 months[...]
How Will ChatGPT Affect Your Job If You Work In Advertising And Marketing?
Recently, there’s been a lot of excitement about ChatGPT – the public preview release of OpenAI’s chatbot powered by the GPT3 language model.[...]
- Get updates straight to your inbox
- Join my 1 million newsletter subscribers
- Never miss any new content